Pages

9.9.10

BUSTED...

BUSTED...
Zzzzziiiinnnnggggg-zinggg zing-zing, broke off, snapppp,
Ka-pinnggggg...

I don't get broke off very often, but I managed to loose two nice Landlocked Salmon on Saturday.

I was joined by my eleven year old Grandson Justin and a fishing buddy Matt.  We got a great early start, after driving nearly an hour and launching the boat at Converse Bay on Lake Champlain just after day-light, we were geared up and ready to fish!   We were after Mr. and Mrs. Landlocked Salmon.  These fish are tough to fish for this time of the year, as the majority of them go and hide and get tight lipped prior to spawning.  But, we were up for the challenge, or so we thought.

A lot of the fish being caught this time of the year are the fish that were stocked earlier in the summer.  "Stockers".  Right now, they've been in the lake for several months; eating and growing, and are just under the legal size limit of 15".  They're brightly colored, fat and plump, shaped like little footballs. 
But, those aren't our target.  Our target is to find mature fish that are hanging out deep, still on the feed.  Maybe they spawned last year and don't wish to do so this year, or, maybe they just aren't "in the mood".  Anyway, these are the fish we want to hook up with.

The first nice fish to hit sent the reel screaming, yelling for attention.  This was a line set up on a downrigger.  Down 73 and 15 feet back behind the ball on one of my custom honeybees, the orange and green, of the three Amigos.
I grabbed the rod and the fish began to pull.  It made two very nice runs, peeling line and pulling hard, then decided to make a run for the boat.  I reeled like hell but this fish was on a mission, a mission to free itself if it could.  The fish headed along the starboard side of the boat wanting to keep clear of the boat and pass us...untill it tangled in another line, a heavy braided line with a lite bite slide diver running deep.  That's just about where this story ends...I think you know what happens next. 
BUSTED...  Dang, what an adrenaline rush.

About an hour later...
The Lite Bite Slide Diver fires.  The rod doubles over hard.  HARD!
The reel starts screaming and I mean SCREAMING!
Zzzzziiiinnngggg-Zzzzziiiinnngggg-Zzzzziiiinnngggg...
If you've ever fished with a slide diver, dipsy diver, or other hard pulling diving device, then you know that the drag on the reel is already set pretty tight.
Well, that drag wasn't stopping this freight train, it wasn't even going to slow him down.  This fish was headed for the abyss, headed down to Davey Jones' locker. 
And I lost my cool...
Instead of thinking, and trying to outwit the fish I tried to stop it.  It wasn't to be stopped.  Now with over 250 feet of line out I began to thumb the spool.  NOT the thing to do.  I began to apply pressure with my thumb and the fish still wouldn't slow down.  I applied a little more and felt it happen...
The vibration came all the way up the line to my rod and into my hand.  The sickening ugly explosive release of energy as the five foot, ten pound fluorocarbon leader between the slide diver and the fish gave away.
BUSTED...
Definetly a trophy.
BUSTED...
Lake Champlain Salmo salar, to be caught another day.
I WILL return!

Fish on, fish H8 me.




Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Michael Agneta said...

Great story of your day. I'm certain the next time you go out they'll be in your boat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, is about all I can say! That is some tough luck. Had to be a "charge" having them on though. Sometimes, the fish just "win". Darn it anyhow!

Ryan said...

You'll get them. Good report.

The Average Joe Fisherman
http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/