Pages

24.5.10

STEELHEAD RAINBOW TROUT

On Sunday, Cathy joined me for a few hours of trolling on Lake Champlain's Inland Sea. We had it tough, we kept dropping fish, just couldn't keep them on the hook.  We ended up going three for seven on salmonids. 
I could only get the down-riggers to fire once, no matter what I did!
Everything else was on 1.5 to 3 colors of lead-core, or the lite-bite slide diver set at about 22ish.

Last fish of the trip, the slide diver fires again. We've decided this was our last run. Cathy doesn't normally want to fight the fish but as soon as the rod fired, I said "here, you take it,,,c'mon"

She wrestles the rod, the fish, and the slide diver and does very well.  The fish made two nice runs and she hung on, each time her eye's lighting up and excitement in her voice.  Several times the fish, carrying the slide diver, rocketed out of the water.
Finally:
Netted...STEELHEAD!  The first on the Razzle Dazzle!



 
Steelhead or Rainbow Trout are in Lake Champlain, they're just not as prolific as the other salmonids.
When one is caught, it's exciting news!
 
In 2004 when Cathy and I bought our boat, she put the first Landlocked Atlantic Salmon in it.  Now, she has the right to claim the first Steelhead!
She's a keeper!
 
Fish on, fish H8 me.
Raz
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was on a boat in outer Mallets bay this weeked and we hooked into a nice chunky rainbow, first I've ever seen come from trolling.